I was going to bed but Ruler was all "LL UPDATE THE WEBSITE YOU DON'T NEED SLEEP LL UPDATE DO IT" so now I am so there.
Anyway, I'm sure you've all heard that Maid RPG is out. Given the ridiculously hilarious characters you can create with its character generation, and given that it's 100% roll-based generation... well, you can probably guess where I'm going with this. It's far less data-intensive and edge-case-intensive than, say, Dark Heresy, so I think I'll have the Maid RPG chargen completed tomorrow night or so. You can fuck around with it if you want, though it's nowhere near complete, naturally.
As for all those site upgrades? Yeah, fuck it, not going to bother, I give up. I spent too much time getting nowhere to continue, and I managed to complete my original task of installing Perl (with ActivePerl) and AWStats for log analysis. Like any website, Apache logs basic information by default, allowing administrators to fine-tune the site, either to help people find what they're looking for, make certain pages more attractive to visitors and search engines, locate problems, see which pages people enter and exit from, and more.
Since my installation of AWStats, here are a few awesome things I've learned from traffic analyzed between January 2008 to present:
- sup/tg/ has received 8.3 million hits in the past eight and a half months, serving 843,000 pages and 713.34GB of data
- Peak usage is about 4pm EDT, tapering off around 2am and dipping to a low from 5-9pm, before rising back toward peak; I receive visitors on sup/tg/ 24/7
- Google has slurped up about 2.2GB of data from me during their indexing
- 79.1% of all files accessed on sup/tg/ are jpgs
- People seem to really like the random epic art image thingie
- The archive page, by far, is the most popular page on the site (naturally), with the homepage and then the DH chargen second and third
- 94% of the visitors are Windows users; 3.6% are Macs and 1.4% are *nix
- 73.3% of all visitors use Firefox; 17.9% use Internet Explorer of some kind; and I see absolutely zero entries from Chrome. Way to grab that market share, Google
- The "Power Perversion Potential" article on tvtropes.com links to the anal spelunking thread on sup/tg/, and apparently is a fairly popular incoming link; I've received approximately 1,400 hits from Dark Reign so far
- Some site called Dizzler is accounting for a vast number of referrals; anyone know what the fuck that is? It's some Flash viewer on their site but I've been unable to figure out why it's coming here
- Some of the more interesting top searches on Google for sup/tg/ are:
- "taldeer" at 353 hits
- "ironshrinemaiden" at 296
- "jeanstealer" at 117
- "reasonable marines" at 115
- "love can bloom" at 89
- "jubblowski" at 73
- "lolcron" at 69
- "fantasy adventure to adult lechery" at 58 (goddamnit what the fuck)
- "macha" at 42
- "chink" at 42 (really?)
- "noh" at 33
- Down toward the bottom searches are awesome one-request searches like "4chan dragonraper", "monstergirl goo", "waldorf", "baldstorm", "my breasts tg love -gay magic" (what the fuck), horsepussies (???), "i have failed the emprah", "drider sex", and, of course, "tordek in it for the bitches".
Neat shit. (Note to any paranoids out there: I don't sell traffic data to anyone and I don't use tracking cookies or any of that nonsense. The information collected is anonymous and uses nothing more than the vanilla default Apache logs, the same kind collected by each and every webserver on the face of the planet.)
Edit: ffff goddamnit ruler I just lost another half hour of sleep to this update it's 5:11 now