File1274391203.jpg-(726 KB, 1759x2000, IntroboxPaints.jpg)
Well, when I started with washes, I'd first heard how to do so through the back of Battletech's core book. They recommended Water, Future Floor Polish, and Ink to do so. It said the future was to help break up surface tension, so that the ink settled into the crevices.
I didn't have either ink or Future Floor polish, so I looked at an older edition of the core book from 1990, which said to make a wash with just water and acrylic paint. I tried that, and it worked sort-of-kind-of well, though it was really drab, not vibrant, and stained the color of the miniature too much.
"Alright", I thought, "I'll pick up some reaper inks and future floor polish".
But Future was nowhere to be seen. I looked everywhere I was told to, and only spotted some pledge "with future floor polish" (It turns out that FFP changed their label over the years. Same formula, this new bottle). So I tried using an Ink-Water-Dishsoap concoction to paint the miniatures.
While wet, it looked like it was going to work perfectly. It filled the crevices, I drained the pooling areas on the panels, everything.
When I came back to my miniature five minutes later, I found that when the water evaporated, the soap had no effect at eliminiting the surface tension, causing the ink to form the equivalent of "bathtub rings" around the crevices, so rather than put a dark layer inside them, I just highlighted the crevices by outlining them.
I had to repaint them from scratch after that incident, but you can see the differences from using the ink with soapy water before, and the GW washes with some highlighting in the image.
Also note that some of the miniatures here used my old acrylic applebarrel + Soapwater. Those that were are the Grasshopper (Blue), Zeus (LtGreen DkGreen fade), Trebuchet (palegreen base with MdGreen Camo, and Spider (Green-to-blue fade with brown tiger-stripes and red-orange torso lining)