Tsk tsk tsk. I take it you've never heard of the splendor that is a rock on a rope? Let me educate you:
It's a simple but sturdy rope, about ten meters in lengths. There's a rock about the size of a large mans fist securely tied on one end. A crude, archaic and ultimately useless contraption, right?
WRONG! AND LET ME TELL YOU WHY:
- This shit is your fucking everything. dark pitfalls? Just fucking dangle it down there to instantly know how deep the rabbit hole goes. You can also climb it easily up and down.
- Need to check for traps? Forget poles, just throw your rock in there, it won't break, and if it does, hightail it the fuck out of there. Its weight will also trigger pressure-based traps, so hooray for that!
- It's easily replaced! All you need is a rock and a rope. And the knowledge to combine the two, but if you can't do that, why the fuck are you even an adventurer? Go back and marry the plump, redheaded bakers daughter, peasant!
- It's not a weapon! Everyone will strip you from your daggers, blades and fancy-shmancy magic wazoos, but a fucking rope and a fucking rock? Bitch please, that shit ain't dangerous, is it? Fuck you, it's a goddamn flail made of hate and death and I will use it to slaughter my way out of here! So learn how to use a flail or chain weapons without killing yourself!
- Enemies surrounding you? Just hoist that shit over your head and swing it in circles as hard as you can! Instant zone of pain and death!
- It's super fucking multi-purpose! Use it as a grappling hook, ladder, flail, erotic toy, distraction, shield, measuring device, execution aid, or you separate it to get all of the individual uses a rock and a rope provide!